Bienvenue au nouveau site web du CIREQ !

Atelier d’économie de l’environnement et des ressources naturelles de Montréal

Lieu : UQAM, Pavillon J.-A.-DeSève
320, rue Sainte-Catherine Est, salle DS-5650

  
Heure : 9:00 – 12:00 
 
 


 
Nicholas Rivers (University of Ottawa)
The Economic Cost of Air Pollution : Evidence from Europe
 
RÉSUMÉ : We provide the first evidence that air pollution causes economy-wide reductions in pro- ductivity and economic activity. We combine satellite-based measures of air pollution with statistics on regional economic activity throughout the European Union since 2000. We use an instrumental variables approach, based on both thermal inversions and the direction of pre- vailing wind, to identify the causal impact of air pollution on economic activity. We estimate that a 1μg/m3 increase in fine particulate matter concentrations causes a 1.1% reduction in gross domestic product, with 90 percent of this impact due to reductions in productivity and the remaining 10 percent due to reductions in population. Our estimates suggest that the eco- nomic benefits of reducing air pollution are much larger than previously thought, and of similar magnitude to the benefits associated with reductions in mortality.

 

Jill Baumgartner (McGill University)
Longitudinal Evaluation of a Household Energy Package on Air Pollution and Health in China
 
 
*  Pour une liste complète des ateliers en 2018-2019, veuillez cliquer ici.

événements à venir

Il n'y a pas d'événements à venir pour le moment.